Carbs make you fat/unhealthy. True or False?
False!!!!!! No carbs will not make you fat or unhealthy. We gain fat simply when we consume more calories than we burn. Choosing and eating the right carbs are an important part of a healthy balanced diet. There will be a few pounds of water weight associated with carbs but remember its just water, not fat. People lose weight on low carb diets because they lose water weight and also have no choice but to eliminate junk food from their diet and so as a result they are now eating at a calorie deficit. Here are some main points as to why carbs are important:
1. Carbs are a fantastic source of B vitamins and fibre. A lot of carb sources will provide some protein too.
2. Complex carbs high in fibre will make you feel full and will make dieting that bit easier.
3. Restricting a whole food group makes dieting and healthy eating unnecessarily difficult and you will be more likely to give up and go back to old unhealthy habits because the severe restrictions are just not sustainable long term.
4.Carbs are the brains preferred fuel source and you will be sharper mentally when eating a carb sufficient diet.
5. Carbs are the ONLY macro you can utilize for intense exercise like weightlifting. Without them your body has to turn protein and fat into carbs for energy and will result in poor performance due to delayed energy supply.
6. Carbs spare your body breaking down protein for energy and so will limit muscle breakdown.
7. Low carb diets often result in headaches, fatigue, mood swings, halitosis, constipation and other lovely side effects.
8. Carbs taste bloody amazing and make eating more enjoyable. :)
So just be wise when choosing your carbs and opt for nutrient dense foods like oats, sweet potatoes, whole grains, brown basmati, quinoa, lentils, beans, fruit and veg. Limit nutrient poor carbs high in refined sugar to <15% of total calories.